Prayer for the election
This was the prayer used yesterday during the Holy Hour at OLS church. Please use it specially today. Don’t forget to pray it when you go to bed tonight. You don’t have to pray all of the intercessory prayers but can pick a few.
O God, we acknowledge You today as Lord,
Not only of individuals, but of nations and governments.
We thank You for the privilege
Of being able to organize ourselves politically
And of knowing that political loyalty
Does not have to mean disloyalty to You.
We thank You for Your law,
Which our Founding Fathers acknowledged
And recognized as higher than any human law.
We thank You for the opportunity that this election year puts before us,
To exercise our solemn duty not only to vote,
But to influence countless others to vote, and to vote correctly.
Lord, we pray that Your people may be awakened.
Let them realize that while politics is not their salvation,
Their response to You requires that they be politically active.
Awaken Your people to know that they are not called to be
a sect fleeing the world
But rather a community of faith renewing the world.
Awaken them that the same hands lifted up to You in prayer
Are the hands that pull the lever in the voting booth;
That the same eyes that read Your Word
Are the eyes that read the names on the ballot,
And that they do not cease to be Christians
When they enter the voting booth.
Awaken Your people to a commitment to justice,
To the sanctity of marriage and the family,
To the dignity of each individual human life,
And to the truth that human rights begin when human lives begin,
And not one moment later.
Lord, we rejoice today
That we are citizens of Your kingdom.
May that make us all the more committed
To being faithful citizens on earth.
We ask this through Jesus Christ, our Lord.
I. PRAYER FOR THE CHURCH IN MALAYSIA
“He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you, But to do justly, to love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God?” Micah 6:8:
Response: Lord, bind us together in your love.
1. Lord, we pray that we, the Body of Christ in Malaysia, will walk together before You in the spirit of unity and with pure hearts, especially in this crucial time of the General Election.
2. Lord, we pray that the Church in Malaysia will be fully awakened, engaged and empowered during this critical season and understand the urgency and importance of this election and its implications for the advancement of God’s purposes in our nation and around the world. May the “zeal of the Lord Almighty accomplish this.” ~ Isaiah 9:7
3. We pray that repentance would be the lifestyle of your Church in Malaysia, so that we are each quick to come before the Lord, confessing our sins and forgiving each other, where needed.
4. We pray that we will live out your commandment and would be quick to forgive our enemies, for they know not what they do — even in the political arena.
II. PRAYER FOR A PEACEFUL ELECTION & FOR GOD’S PURPOSES TO BE FULFILLED
“Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.” Matthew 6:10
Response: Lord, may your kingdom come and your will be done in our nation.
1. Lord we pray that God’s plans and purposes for our nation will be established during this election season.
2. Lord we pray that we will be a nation that follows You and is a blessing to the nations of the earth.
3. O God, Your plans are firm, faithful and forever. The purposes of Your heart prevail through all the generations (Psalm 33:11). Let Your mighty, perfect will be done in the general election.
4. Lord we pray for harmony and peace during and after election, and for the safety of all candidates, officials and voters during the entire election.
5. Lord we pray that you will overrule and stop any attempt at stirring up violence before, during and after the elections, and that peace and harmony will prevail for the well-being of all communities and for the nation.
6. Lord we pray that the powers of darkness will be bound and have no freedom to advance the cause of evil, injustice, and extremisms of various forms during the General Election.
III. PRAYER FOR THE GENERAL ELECTION AT NATIONAL & STATE LEVEL
“Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people.” Proverbs 14:34
Response: Lord, bless us with righteous leaders and a godly government
1. Lord we pray that the man and woman of righteousness, the person of God’s choosing, will be elected in every parliamentary seat and every office at the state level.
2. Lord we pray that every appointment as state, city and town councilors, members of Parliament, senator, minister and to the office of the Prime Minister, will also be persons of God’s choosing, men and women who uphold truth, justice and righteousness.
3. Lord we pray for the formation of a government that respects people’s rights, upholds justice, incorruptibility, ethics and freedom to believe
4. Lord we pray for the formation of a government that upholds good stewardship, quality education, and wise management of national debt.
5. Lord we pray for the election of men and women who are peacemakers able to foster unity, reconciliation and prosperity for all.
6. Lord we pray for men and women of righteousness to be elected who possess the moral and political will to implement the breaking of institutionalized racism, oppression of indigenous peoples and mistreatment of migrants and refugees.
7. Lord we pray against the election of any extremists of any kind who incite hatred and mischief and all forms of racial and religious divide.
8. Heavenly Father, You promise to bless us with rejoicing when righteous leaders are in charge. So we ask You for godly, good leaders who will bring joy to those they lead. Do not allow any wicked persons to gain public office in this election, but only those who will honor You. Proverbs 29:2
IV. PRAYER FOR THE MEDIA
The LORD detests lying lips, but he delights in men who are truthful. Proverbs 12:22
Response: Lord, may truth honesty and integrity prevail in this nation
1. Lord we pray for members of the print, broadcast and new media that they will publish news truthfully and with integrity, provide factual information and provide equal opportunity for all political parties to speak of their manifesto.
2. Lord, we pray for unity-forming opinions to be delivered by the media – that they will choose to play a key role in peace and reconciliation, and not stir up hatred or submit to rumour-mongering.
3. Father God, You love truth and are displeased with lies. Grant a spirit of truthfulness in the elections, particularly on the part of all media. Grant a spirit of fairness and honesty in the reports created by all members of the media, and give discernment and wisdom to citizens as they seek information from the media.
4. Mighty God, we look to You for protection and safe keeping, especially during the days leading up to the elections. Keep the media safe from every kind of harm.
V. PRAYER FOR ELECTION OFFICIALS AND SECURITY OFFICERS
You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. Psalm 32:7
Response: Lord, bless us with officials of honesty and integrity
1. Lord we pray that those involved in the election process –the election officials, appointees, police, RELA and army – will serve with honesty and integrity of heart.
2. Lord we pray that they will exercise wisdom and act justly during the course of the election, and uphold peace and order until after the elections are over.
3. Lord we pray also for all elections officials, including polling and counting agents, as well as election observers, to serve diligently and honourably, ensuring accuracy and integrity in the entire election process.
4. Lord we pray that the security forces will be impartial and provide protection towards all political parties, act fairly and maintain peace in the nation.
VI. PRAYER FOR VOTERS
“And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord. And his delight shall be in the fear of the Lord. Isaiah 11:2-3
Response: Lord, grant us your wisdom and courage
1. Lord we pray that each citizen will be convicted to vote for the man and woman of righteousness, the person of God’s choosing.
2. Lord we pray for every voter to exercise his stewardship in nation building and duty to the country by coming to vote.
3. Lord we pray that God’s Spirit will overshadow each one as he or she makes a decision when casting their vote.
4. Lord we pray for a spirit of wisdom, discernment and courage to fall on every voter, and not be unduly affected or influenced by irresponsible parties bent on distorting truth or cause fear, or fall prey to rumours, lies or money and bribery.
5. Lord we pray for a spirit of justice, for courage, and for love of the nation to be impressed on every heart queuing to vote on polling day on this Sunday, 5th of May.
Lord Jesus Christ, you told us to give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and to God what belongs to God.
Enlighten the minds of our people in Malaysia.
May we choose a Prime Minister of Malaysia and other government officials, according to your divine will.
Give our citizens the courage to choose leaders of our nation
who respect the sanctity of the unborn human life, the sanctity of marriage, the sanctity of marital relations, the sanctity of the family, and the sanctity of aging.
Grant us the wisdom to give you, what belongs to you, our God.
If we do this, as a nation, we are confident you will give us an abundance of your blessings through our elected leaders.