THE 157-year-old Church of the Assumption located along the heritage enclave at Farquhar Street is expected to reopen its doors to parishioners and tourists in October once renovation works have been completed with a soft opening scheduled to be on Christmas Eve this year.
This was revealed by its fund raising committee chairman John Lau when he and the Bishop of Penang Rev. Sebastian Francis welcomed state exco members Chow Kon Yeow (Local Government, Traffic Management and Flood Mitigation) and Jagdeep Singh (Town & Country Planning and Housing) to the church premises on July 24 to receive RM50,000 from the state government’s Non-Islamic Places of Worship Fund (RIBI).
30 April 2017
Iconic Penang Church launches raffle ticket sales for restoration project
by Christopher Kostka
The Church of the Assumption launched its sale of raffle tickets at the St Francis Xavier Church on March 19. The sales are part of its fundraising activities to raise RM2.5 million for the restoration of the church.
The restoration project, which was launched by Bishop Sebastian Francis in June 2016, is to restore the church to its original condition of 1928 as befitting this monumental landmark in the Georgetown Heritage zone.
Read the rest of this entry
New Straits Times
28 June 2016
by Marina Emmanuel
The 156-year-old church, which is located within the Unesco core zone here, is set to temporarily close its doors for 14 months beginning Sept 1.
It also houses one of Southeast Asia’s oldest pipe organs which was assembled in Penang in 1916 and is Malaysia’s largest church pipe organ.
The church was first built in 1860 and in 1928, underwent its first extension when two wings were added.
“The Assumption Church is already a monumental landmark in the George Town Heritage Site situated almost next door to many other notable buildings such as St George’s Church, the High Courts, the Logan Memorial, as well as Convent Light Street and St Xavier’s Institution. “
HERALD, 16 JUNE 2013
The Church of St John Britto Catholic was established in 1969 by Monsignor Ignatius John Aloysius with help from Father François Felix Faure from the College General. It was named after a Catholic saint from India.
It is located at Jalan Sungai Pinang, and at that time, it caters mostly to the working-class Indians living around that area.
In 1988, the Church of St John Britto was merged with the Our Lady of Sorrows Church, the St Francis Xavier Church and the Assumption Church to form the City Parish, with its secretariat based at the Church of Our Lady of Sorrows.
When the Church of St John Britto was build, it was on banana plantation land. As time goes by, the land is slowly sinking. Therefore, the parish priest, Fr Dominic Santhiyagu, see an urgent need to do something. The land need to be level with new concrete and thus the church building too renovated.
Thus, in August last year, a Church Building Renovation and Restoration committee was started to raise funds for the Church. Many parishioners had came forward to donate. The biggest sum of donation came from the Prime Minister’s Department, when Datuk Maglin Dennis D’Cruz, the Information, Communication and Culture Deputy Minister (then), representing the Prime Minister, donated RM200,000 in September last year.
However, the funds raised so far still fall short of the total expenditure involved, thus the fund-raising is still on-going.
Seeing their ‘sister church’ in need, the committee from the Church of St Francis Xavier (part of City Parish, like St John Britto), will be organising a charity dinner on 6th July 2013 to raise funds for the restoration and renovation. Interested parishioners please contact the parish office at tel. no. 04-2261502. – by Lucia Lai